Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A trip to the pediatrician

I called the Rheumy office to see if there was a decongestant I  could give him for his runny nose.  They said I really needed to have him looked at by the pediatrician even though there was no fever.  So I called yesterday and got him in at 3pm. 

It was our first trip to the pediatrician since starting the shots.  My biggest concern was him being in the waiting room with all the other sick children.  When I signed him in, there were only 2 other kids in there and I told the receptionist he was on drugs that suppress his immune system.  She had us wait in the hall closer to where they come out and call your name.   We only had to wait about one minute.

Cameron has seen several doctors in the practice.  The one we normally see was not there so we had to pick another.  I picked Dr Beth Hawse who was the one that saw him when we went in about his knee and started the ball rolling on the arthritis evaluation.  If I'm not badly mistaken, she said that she has psoriatic arthritis.  Maybe that explains why we were sent for the evaluation so quickly...

So...  She looked him over and even checked his knees and ankles.  He had fallen at school and bruised one knee up pretty good and she made sure to check it for any tears or injuries that need to be treated... nothing there...thankfully.  Chest was clear and then she went to the ears.  Right clear.... uh oh... left ear is infected!  He had not complained a single time about his ear!   She said apparently he is not a complainer so we're gonna have to watch him closer.  If you remember, he didn't complain but a few times about his jaws hurting and come to find out, he already has some joint damage there!  Also, from what I understand, the drugs he is on will mask any fevers or other signs that tell me he is sick.

So, we get our prescription for augmentin, 750mg 2x a day... he was told to stay home one more day which ended up not being a problem with the snow out there.

No comments: