Saturday, March 20, 2010

Shots, round 8

Today was a day off for Cameron.  KEA day for professional development for the teachers.  We took it easy for the first part of the day, staying in PJ's till past noon.  About 3:30 or so, we got his friend Erin from across the street and walked up to the park.  They played and had a great time and we came home around 5:30 or so.



Will was playing with the pipe band at the Paddy Wagon Irish Pub in Richmond so he went there straight from work.  I got the numbing cream on Cameron about 6 PM and we did the shots about 45 minutes later.  He was so funny.  He kept telling me that he didn't want to see the syringes because it would make him feel worse...  So, he covered his head with his shirt so he couldn't see.  As I was giving them, he kept saying "make sure you pinch the skin up, make sure its at an angle, etc"... can you tell he listened when the nurse was instructing us on giving them??

After giving him the shots, I attempted baking a cake in the bowling pin shaped pans that I have and planned to bake the ball to go with it in the ball shaped pan I have...


well...... it didn't turn out the way I wanted.  The neck and top part of the pin are very hard and the big part of the pin is nice and soft.   I didn't even try to use the ball pan.... instead, we made a trip to Kroger and got an angel food cake, strawberries and strawberry gel and whipped cream to make a strawberry shortcake.

Speaking of Kroger, for the first time, we found the small kid-sized shopping carts.  Cameron thought he was pretty cool getting to push that around the store!  Luckily, no ankles were damaged.

On the way home, I let him pick supper.  We stopped at Little Caesar's pizza and got a thin crust Meatsa pizza.  Once we got home, I told him to put down a blanket in the living room and we would eat there.... his face lit up and he said "Now you're talking my language!".  He LOVES having picnics!  I told him it was our 2nd Friday date night!  Will had something going on last week also so we had gone to McDonald's and a movie.  This week, it was a picnic in the floor with pizza and gatorade.

Yesterday (Thursday) after school, I took him to labcorp for his 2nd blood draw.  This is something we are doing every 4 weeks to watch to make sure the medications he is on are not damaging his liver and also to make sure they are doing their job, reducing the inflammation.  We should hear next week on those.  He had the ladies laughing.  His comments are just so atypical for a kid his age.  He asked them to not use the blue noodle thing they put around the arm.  I put the numbing cream on his arm before we leave home so the actual needle doesn't hurt, it's just that band they use.  We are lucky and have two women there that try to accomodate him as much as possible.  They only use the butterfly needle and are really good with Cam.  She said she would try without it as she had felt a good vein.  She got it!  He was happy.  He kept giving his puppy dog whimper when she was drawing the blood and after we were done and in the car, I asked him what that was all about.  He said he was waiting for it to start hurting any second.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is his bowling banquet.  I'll post with pictures later this weekend.  He gets to bowl a game to see if he can beat his coach and if they do, they will get a special patch saying "I beat my coach".

Thanks to everyone who is reading this blog and keeping up with our journey.  We truly appreciate it.

No comments: